25 August 2013

I signed up for Luminosity to "Get a more efficient brain." Saw a commercial for it. I've already gotten an e-mail for Lesson 6. I haven't begun. I keep forgetting! And I'm trying to remember if I bought graham crackers last weekend. S'mores.

In a campfire scene in Too Beautiful For You, one of my favorite Korean soap operas, and even though I'm not Korean I love to watch them, they were making S'mores. After three years I am still unable to learn the language, despite the fact that I've downloaded Survival Phrases (iTunes reviewers commented that this language series got them up and running with friendly voices that teach). Maybe I should have gone with Rosetta Stone. That's what I get for being cheap.


My fascination of Sulli who's a singer and dancer in the K-Pop group f(x) and Minho of SHINee quickly became apparent. The magic about it is that they are both actors as well as rock stars which I wasn't aware of until I looked them up on AsianWiki. Watch f(x)'s video for Pinocchio and you will see what I mean. Sulli plays a girl who lives in The States, but flies to Korea to attend a boy's school to rejuvenate the athletic career of Minho. Even without make-up, a little boy haircut and prep-school outfit, you see her remarkable cuteness. Minho's lovable nature, who I'm sure has millions of K-Pop groupies of his own, is on par with her's. Fun adventures ensued. She eventually gets found out after some speculations and shenanigans. I was really sad when it ended, but the finale was better then I could have imagined. She's been featured in Nylon magazine.

If Tomorrow Comes is another fond fave about a girl who's mom lost her fortune but then claws her way back up to the top. I loved their mother-daughter relationship. Seo Woo played a darling ball of energy, filled with smiles and teardrops, who was accustomed to the rich life but fell in love with a working class guy. At the time her mom fell broke due to sketchy business deals and backstabbing employees, she considered selling her beloved expensive handbags to afford instant ramen, instead using her last coins, after her whole apartment was tagged for repo, only to spill the bowl of noodles across the kitchen table. In the end, the moral was that love conquers all. In real life she's done magazine spreads for Elle Girl and GQ in Korea. In the soap she looked like a Seoul babydoll Bettie Page.  

Other KDramas under my viewing: My Love By My Side, Smile Mom (incredibly they showed a scene from Shallow Hal when Jack Black is in the elevator with Tony Robbins!), Ghost, Queen of Ambition, and Wonderful Mama. When I'm engrossed in English subtitles, my boyfriend thinks I'm totally nutty.

No comments:

Post a Comment